Wednesday 8 February 2012

kitchen

I don't mean to alarm anybody with this story, I just want to have some record out there in case I die. 

You see, usually when we come into the rectory in the kitchen,  there are all the clean dishes in a rack next to the tables where we eat out meals, which are pretty much picnic tables, and we sit on picnic benches.  (Sitting down at the table is a pretty gymnastic dance if there are other people sitting there:  approach table, stand on one foot,  kick other foot through gap between benchtop and tabletop, straddle the the bench, swing other foot over and through gap, put food down, sit down.  Not everyone uses this order.)  Anyway, I came in today and just grabbed a glass and plate off the rack.  I poured myself some juice, which prevented me from seeing the bottom of the glass.  It was only as I got near the bottom that I saw some foreign white substance sitting at the glass bottom.  I assumed it was perhaps a piece of orange pith that had fallen in the juice. Foolishly, I took another sip.  This allowed me to see more clearly the white slimy mold at the bottom.
At the time, this did not disturb me too much.  But now I realize that this stuff is swirling around in my intestines, and I expect to come down with a case of who-knows-what.  It may prove fatal. So if my life ends, have drink in my honor.  Just inspect your glass before you put anything in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment