Friday 17 February 2012

coolest moment ever!

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to tell you about my coolest moment here in Belize so far.  As some of you may know,  Dr. Robert Carlson, the co-founder of WCC and my professor for Humanities and the Trivium, came down to speak to the parish community about the liberal arts.  So the parish invited the high school teachers, Solt religious sisters and brothers, and others to come hear him in the parish hall. Before he spoke, I asked if I could introduce him instead of the the pastor.  They let me, for which I was really honored.  Given the academic occasion, I decided to tell everyone the story about his most important lesson to me, and then gave the podium to him.  The moment really bowled me over, to be introducing my old professor while on my new mission.  I was so excited.
By the way, my most important lesson from Dr. Carlson came when he kicked me out of class my junior year.  I had decided that some book was more important than his lesson, and he wouldn't stand for it.  It certainly taught me to pay attention.
I guess it should also humble me when my students aren't paying attention. After all, I was not very different only a short time ago. 
But I can still kick them out of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment