Thursday 8 December 2011

run

I have mixed feelings about tooting my own horn, but I will tell you all about this.  Today we had our annual "Race for the Border"  run from the school to the Gautemalan border and back.  I finished 7th in a field of 53, and first among all the teachers!  I was pumped!  But now I'm kind of tired and sore.  The two-mile race wasn't exactly a marathon, but I will rest on any laurels available, or any available couch  for that matter.

What I wasn't as much help with was the tug-o-war for our house vs. the green house.  Fortunately, we had Joel.  Joel is a six-foot, 260-pound freshmen with a talent for pulling.  Green had us almost on our knees, and was about win, when Joel gritted his teeth.  He sank low and started moving backwards, six inches at a time.  Green raised a desperate war cry, Joel stared ahead and gripped the rope tighter. Our house recovered their feet.  Slowly, everybody started pulling again.  But Joel led way unitl green was vanquished.  We were ecstatic!  We would have lifted him on our shoulders, but he had all of us by at least 80 pounds.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment